Monday, August 23, 2010

Lara, oh Lara.

I haven't looked through the Vogue US September issue, as I have basically given up on US Vogue. However, I have seen the horrendous wig someone decided to throw on Halle Berry for the cover (and also how photoshopped she looks). Who knows what that person or persons were thinking. "What should we do with Halle? Ah! I have it! We must have her wear a wig that causes her to look like a quirky 5 year old!" I must say I do enjoy the pink font they've chosen, though.


(via here)


What really caught my eye was the editorial Grace styled featuring Lara Stone (which was shot by Mert and Marcus). First of all, Lara looks absolutely stunning — prettier than I've ever seen her before.

Let me backtrack for a minute. I'm used to this kind of Lara (the one with the invisible eyebrows)
Calvin Klein Fall 2010 campaign
LOVE Magazine #4

And THEN she comes out in US Vogue looking like this: (I'm just going to post the whole editorial.)



She's undeniably gorgeous, of course, and the styling isn't half bad - especially for Vogue, who usually creates the most boring editorials that ever existed. But what is up with Lara's same damn expression in every photo? Where is she looking? What's so exciting that she can barely look at the camera? I love the second to last picture. When I look at it, I feel like she's trying to tell me something with her eyes. In all the other photos, she looks like a bored, half-dead housewife.

Maybe even more importantly, why all the "sexyface"? Why can't any female model ever close her mouth? Celebrities do it, too. I just don't get it. I don't understand the deadpanned expressions models wear now. What is fashion trying to convey to us by having models looking so bored? "I'm above all this beauty surrounding me," or "I hate being around all this beauty - I've been around it for so long, it has lost its meaning."

Give us joy, give us sadness, give us anger, give us frustration, give us sex. Just give us an editorial that tells us a real story, one that conveys true emotion.


All photos of Lara via fashiongonerogue.com.

No comments: